Fawcett:GAUSS, Charles Henry (1845 - 1913)
More information can be found at: Person:GAUSS, Charles Henry (1845 - 1913)
CHARLES HENRY GAUSS was born in St. Charles, Missouri on August 14, 1845 to Eugene Gauss and Henrietta Fawcett (1900 Census Boone County MO Columbia Twn #137). Henry Gauss graduated from Washington University (-1864), then studied engineering at Yale University as a member of the Theta Xi fraternity. He finished his degree at Yale through the Sheffield Scientific School (-1866). Henry Gauss then worked as an engineer on the St. Louis, Wabash and Pacific Railroad, before entering his father's lumber business in St. Charles (1867-1872). The Gauss lumber yard was consumed by fire in 1878 (Letter W Fawcett to V Fawcett 5/12/1878). From 1869 through 1872 Henry Gauss served as a deacon in the St. Charles 1st Presbyterian Church.
After marrying Charlotte Elizabeth "Lizzie" Johns at St. Charles, Missouri, they lived there for several years (1871-72), and then moved to Sedalia, Missouri (1873-82) where he continued in the lumber business (Pettis County 1882:655; Letter V Fawcett 11/17/1877). They returned to St. Charles (1883), but soon moved to San Antonio, Texas where he started another lumber and construction business with his brother-in-law: Arthur C. Johns. Johns & Gauss--both residents of Sedalia--ran an announcement in the San Antonio newspaper (Light 8/10/1883:4) that showed they would soon move there. They were partners in Gauss & Johns (1885-92) at 336 S. Flores. Arthur Johns continued the business there under his name (1892-93) before selling out and managing it for others: William Cameron & Co (1894-1900) and R.H. Downman (1901- ?). Charles Gauss became an insurance agent (Equitable Life, 1892-93; Manhattan Life, 1894-95), before he returned to St. Louis with his family. In San Antonio they lived at 108 San Pedro Ave (1885-91) and 509 Murphy Ave (1892-95).
The children of Henry Gauss and Lizzie Johns are: Blanche Gauss (1870-1950), Henrietta Gauss (4/4/1872 St Charles MO-9/12/1872 Sedalia MO of brain fever, buried Oak Grove, St. Charles MO [Index 1860-89:16]), Eugene Gauss III (1873-91), Ann Durpee Gauss (1877-1932), Carl/Charles Frederic Gauss (1878-79), Martha ‘Mattie’ Gauss (9/24/1879 Sedalia MO -12/17/1882 Sedallia MO [St. Charles Journal 12/22/1882]), Henry Gauss (6/18-19/1881 Sedalia MO), John Montgomery Gauss (1882-1932), Virginia Fawcett Gauss (1883-1955), Matthew Johns Gauss (1887-1954), Lois Gauss (1888-aft 1910), Minna Waldeck Gauss (1892-1938). All of their children were born in Missouri (Gauss 1982:196, Stephens 1921:935-36).
During the winter of 1893-94 Henry brought his entire family back to his parents home near Columbia in Boone County, Missouri to celebrate his parents 50th wedding anniversary in mid-February. This was the first time that his children had experienced snow, and they spent the winter sledding (Letter: Henrietta Gauss to Lucy Fawcett 2/38/1894). They were still living with his widowed mother in 1900 (Columbia Twn, Boone County MO #137). He was a lumber salesman.
Charles H. Gauss resided in St. Louis before settling permanently in St. Charles by 1909. In 1910 he, his wife, her mother (Jane A. Johns), and 5 of their children (Ann, Matthew, Lois and Minna) lived at 701 Tompkins Street (Census #109/124). He was a traveling lumber salesman. Charles H. Gauss died from a heart attack on January 19, 1913 at the Johns Residence (701 Tompkins)--within a few hours of the death from the same cause of his brother Robert Gauss. Both suffered, like their father, from eye disease. Charles H. Gauss was buried on January 20 (Gauss 1982:196, Stephens 1921:935-936; Steinbrinkers 1911-39; Rocky Mountain News 1/20/1913:1; Denver Republican 1/20/1913:5). Wiechesn (n.d.) incorrectly places the date of his death as June 18, 1913. Elizabeth, and their children (Ann, Virginia, Mathew, and Minna) continued to live in their house (701 Tompkins [1920 Census #312]). Elizabeth died there in 1938.
From A History of the Fawcetts and Related Families in America by William Bloys Fawcett. Used by permission of Dr. Fawcett.
This book was first published in 1996 and some of the information is quite dated. If you find errors or want to add updates, contact me, and I will add notes to the page.
Copyright © 1996, 2007 by William Bloys Fawcett, Jr. All rights reserved. No copies may be made of this document through any electronic, photocopying or other means without permission of the author.
References on this Site
- FAWCETT, Willis to Charles Henry Gauss - 1852-10-02
- FAWCETT, Virginia to Charles Henry Gauss - 1854-02-24
- FAWCETT, Virginia to Charles Henry Gauss - 1854-12-16
- FAWCETT, Henrietta to Charles Henry Gauss - 1863-04-29
- FAWCETT, Henrietta to Charles Henry Gauss - 1864-01-28
- FAWCETT, Virginia to Charles Henry Gauss - 1864-02-22
- McCLUER, Uncas to Charles Henry Gauss - 1864-10-01
- McCLUER, Uncas to Charles Henry Gauss - 1864-10-03
- McCLUER, Uncas to Charles Henry Gauss - 1864-11-20
- GAUSS, Oscar W. to Charles Henry Gauss - 1865-05-31
- GAUSS, Eugene to Charles Henry Gauss - 1866-03-22
- GAUSS, Eugene to Charles Henry Gauss - 1866-05-29
- FAWCETT, Benjamin Keyes to GAUSS, Charles Henry - 1866-12-04
- FAWCETT, Benjamin Keyes to GAUSS, Charles Henry - 1868-10
- FAWCETT, Willis to Charles Henry Gauss - 1871-09-19
- FAWCETT, Willis to Charles Henry Gauss - 1871-10-15
- FAWCETT, Willis to Charles Henry Gauss - 1872-01-06
- FAWCETT, Virginia to Eugene Gauss, III - 1882-01-05
- GAUSS, Eugene III to Charles Henry Gauss - 1889-07-22
- GAUSS, Theodore to Charles Henry Gauss - 1893-09-09
- FAWCETT, Henrietta to Charles Henry Gauss - 1900-10-29
- FAWCETT, Henrietta to Charles Henry Gauss - 1900-12-31
- FAWCETT, Henrietta to Charles Henry Gauss - 1902-01-02
- FAWCETT, Henrietta to Charles Henry Gauss - 1903-09-07
Mentioned in Letters:
- ANDERSON, S. J. P. - 1864-09-07 (Letter)
Mentioned in Census:
Mentioned in Other Documents:
- FAWCETT, Henrietta (1817-1909) (Obituary)
- GAUSS, (INFANT) (CemeteryRecord)
- GAUSS, (MALE INFANT) (CemeteryRecord)
- GAUSS, Anne Durfee (1876-1932) (DeathCertificate)
- GAUSS, Charles Frederick (1878 - 1879) (CemeteryRecord)
- GAUSS, Charles Henry (1845 - 1913) (DeathCertificate)
- GAUSS, Charles Henry (1845 - 1913) (Obituary)
- GAUSS, Charles Henry (1845 - 1913) (CemeteryRecord)
- GAUSS, Charles Henry (1845 - 1913) (Fawcett)
- GAUSS, Eugene (1811 - 1896) (Fawcett)
- GAUSS, Eugene (1811-1896) (Obituary)
- GAUSS, Eugene (1873 - 1891) (CemeteryRecord)
- GAUSS, Henrietta (1872 - 1872) (CemeteryRecord)
- GAUSS, John Montgomery (1882 - 1932) (DeathCertificate)
- GAUSS, Matthew Johns (1887 - 1954) (DeathCertificate)
- GAUSS, Robert (1851 - 1913) (Obituary)
- GAUSS, Virginia Fawcett (1883 - 1955) (DeathCertificate)
- Gauss Index-Gen4
- Gauss Index-Gen5
- JOHNS, Charlotte Elizabeth (1850 - 1938) (DeathCertificate)
- Joseph Fawcett bible
- Oak Grove Cemetery DB - Gauss
- Obituary:FAWCETT, Henrietta (1817-1909)
- Obituary:GAUSS, Robert (1851 - 1913)
no documents to show no documents