Fawcett:FAWCETT, Lucy Fenner (1843 - 1895)
More information can be found at: Person:FAWCETT, Lucy Fenner (1843 - 1895)
LUCY FENNER FAWCETT was born to Willis Fawcett and Susan Stabler on Saturday, March 4, 1843 in St. Charles County, Missouri (E.S. Fawcett statement 3/22/1867). Lucy visited Alexandria, Virginia with her mother and siblings during the spring of 1846 (Letter S.S. Fawcett to W. Fawcett 5/2/1846). She moved east with her mother and siblings to live with her mother's family in Alexandria. Her father moved to Texas in 1852. After her mother's death (January 1852), Lucy was raised by her uncle/guardian, Richard H. Stabler (Will 7:5, 124). Edward/Mary and Rebecca Stabler left portions of their estate to Lucy and her siblings in May 1853 (Will 6:215 5/2/1853; Deed 1:146, 2:370). Her father visited Lucy and her siblings in July 1859. While attending a boarding school in Baltimore, she visited her friend’s uncle about 14 miles from Philadelphia. That year (August 1860) she visited her siblings in Alexandria (Letter L Fawcett to V Fawcett 10/7/1860). By August 1863 Lucy and her sister, Eugenia, were living with their sister, Virginia Fawcett, and her husband Archibald Moore at Plainfield, near Sandy Spring, Montgomery County, Maryland (Letter V Fawcett to L Fawcett 8/11/1863). In early April 1865, her father’s friend, William C. Ellison, visited Lucy and Eugenia in Baltimore (Letter L Fawcett to V Fawcett 4/25/1865). Lucy worked for the Stabler Drug Store in Baltimore until it closed in 1865/66 (Letter W Fawcett to L Fawcett 3/25/1866). She continued to live in Baltimore until 1870/71. Willis Fawcett's 1875 will indicates that Lucy was unmarried and living with her sister, Eugenia Gauss Fawcett, in Baltimore, Maryland.
Lucy is mentioned in the Annals of Silver Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland (1:256), possibly in association with Edward Stabler. She and Hannah B. Brooke nursed diptheria patients for two months. During the 1880s she worked as a nurse (Letter V Fawcett to L Fawcett 5/25/1882).
In October 1887 Lucy Fawcett left Baltimore to take a job as a teacher at an orphanage known as Hillfoot Farm at Aylesford, Kings County, Nova Scotia. The orphanage was directed by Miss Farquharson. She reached Halifax on December 5, and was soon teaching a morning school of 39 students, an afternoon school of 16, and a sewing class of 7 little girls. Seventy persons lived in the multistory wood building. It was extremely cold all of the time, and she was often ill during the winter. Bears, moose, caribou, and other wildlife often wandered down from the mountains above the orphanage. Miss Sterling was expected with 35 more children from Scotland, ages 2-14 years, the end of March 1888 (Letter L Fawcett to E Fawcett 2/26/1888).
Lucy Fawcett visited William and Leidie Hartshorne in Lawrence, Massachusetts during April 1888, as part of a business trip for Miss Sterling. She sailed south by way of Bedford, Amherst, St. John, Bangor, Portland, and Boston. She then took the train to Lawrence. For her return trip, Lucy caught the 6:40 a.m. train from Lawrence to Boston on April 19. She sailed north from Boston at 8:30 on the steamer Cumberland for St. John. About 2:30 p.m. she could see the White Mountains of New Hampshire off in the distance. At 4 p.m. she reached Portland, and remained there 1.5 hours. At 9 a.m. the next day they passed Great Menan Island--a summer resort, and continued to Eastport, remaining there until noon. She reached St. John at 4 p.m. on April 20. She spent the night there, and then took the 7:45 a.m. boat Secret to Annapolis, and caught the noon-time train to Aylesford. Lucy stayed overnight in town, and after church, returned to the orphanage.
On April 28, 1888 Lucy sailed for Scotland on business for Miss Sterling. She planned to stay there if she could get a post. Her mail was sent to Liverpool c/o Allan Steamship Co. (Letter L Fawcett to E Fawcett 4/20/1888). Soon she returned to Alexandria.
By April 1894 Lucy Fawcett was living with her brother, E.S. Fawcett, at 711 Princess St, Alexandria. Their aunt, Henrietta Fawcett Gauss, sent her a copy of the family record in the Joseph Fawcett bible (Letter 4/19/1894). Lucy was among the founders of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Alexandria.
In mid-August 1895 Lucy became ill with typhoid fever. Lucy Fenner Fawcett died between 8 and 9 a.m. at the Garfield Hospital in Washington on September 2, 1895. She was buried beside her sisters in Section G of the Ivy Hill Cemetery (Burch and Sullivan 1982:69; Alexandria Gazette 9/2/1895:2).
From A History of the Fawcetts and Related Families in America by William Bloys Fawcett. Used by permission of Dr. Fawcett.
This book was first published in 1996 and some of the information is quite dated. If you find errors or want to add updates, contact me, and I will add notes to the page.
Copyright © 1996, 2007 by William Bloys Fawcett, Jr. All rights reserved. No copies may be made of this document through any electronic, photocopying or other means without permission of the author.
References on this Site
Mentioned in Other Documents:
- FAWCETT, Lucy Fenner (1843 - 1895) (Fawcett)
- FAWCETT, Lucy Fenner (1843 - 1895) (Obituary)