Fawcett:ELDER, Phillip Tigner (1836 - 1930)
More information can be found at: Person:ELDER, Phillip Tigner (1836 - 1930)
PHILLIP TIGNER ELDER, the tenth child of Hartwell M. Elder and Pamelia Tigner was born on June 18, 1836 in Clarke (now Oconee) County, Georgia. P.T. Elder accompanied some of his family to Texas (1850-54). He is listed in the 1850 census of DeWitt County. P.T. Elder returned to Georgia. His brother (David Y. Elder) married the Elizabeth Wilson in 1852 in Morgan County. P.T. Elder married her sister, Sarah Susan Wilson, there on December 14, 1854 (Ingmire 1985b; Morgan Co. Marriage B:10). Their father (William Wilson) died in the spring 1852. Phillip and Susan's first child (Irwin) was born in Georgia (1855). In June 1855 they received a share ($220 plus interest) of her father's estate--much later than her other siblings.
In about 1856 P.T. and D.Y. Elder moved their families to St. Clair (now Etowah), County, Alabama, near Bennettsville (Twn. 12 Range 4 E.). David moved his family to nearby Cherokee County (ca. 1861). Phillip initially met John W. Inzer in 1860 while living in the northern portion of St. Clair County (TX CSA Pension Application 1908). All but the youngest and eldest children of Phillip and Susan Elder were born in St. Clair (now Etowah) County, Alabama: Ervin F. Elder (1855/56-), George Wilson Elder (1857-1929), Emma Luvenia Elder (1859-1923), Mattie Martha Elder (1861- ), Laura Jane Elder (1866-1939), Ida Josephine Elder (1868- ), Rev. Mansel Phillip Elder (1872-1964), and Thomas Blanton Elder (1874- 1940s).
In November 1861 P.T. Elder enlisted in Company D of the 9th Alabama Infantry Battalion as a private in Newburn, Alabama (Alabama seceded on January 11, 1861 and the Confederacy was organized in Montgomery on February 4, 1861). His pension application indicates that he enlisted in February 15, 1862 in Company C of 9th Alabama Infantry Battalion (while Col. John W. Inzer thought it was Company A under Sheriff Brewster in Jan. 1862), and served until he was paroled in 1865. His unit proceeded to Corinth, Mississippi on April 3, 1862. He was at Shiloh after the battle. He reenlisted for 3-years at Ashville, the county seat of St. Clair County, on January 20, 1862 when the reorganized unitbecame Company C of the 18th Alabama Infantry (part of Inzer's brigade, Bragg's Division of the Army of Tennessee). He was involved in the defense of Corinth (April-May, 1862), before fighting in the Battles of Farmington, Backland, Hoovers Gap (June 24-25, 1863) and Tullahoma (April 1862)--all in Tennessee. After the Battle of Shiloh the 9th Battalion was put in the 17-19th Alabama Regiments, and P.T. Elder served in Company G of 18th Alabama until the 9th was reorganized at Mobile (Feb. 1863). P.T. Elder received his first pay in Aug. 1862. The battalion lead by Col. Bushrod Jones remained at Mobile from the July 1862-April 1863. By February/July 1863 P.T. Elder was part of Company G (although the official records indicate Company D, and other witnesses suggest Company A) of the 58th Alabama Infantry Regiment, lead by Lt. Col. John W. Inzer (an Ashville Attorney with a farm near Eden in St. Clair County). He was still a private (CSA Military Record - AL Dept. of Archives & History). In April 1863 they rejoined Bragg's Army of Tennessee as part of Clayton's Brigade, and later Bate's Brigade of Buckner's Corps. At the Battle of Chickamauga (September 19-20, 1863), Tennessee, P.T. Elder was severely wounded in the leg. He was absent without leave through January-February 1864 when his unit was at Dalton, Georgia. No other military or pension records exist for him from Alabama, but his pension application (filed in Texas) indicates he served until being paroled in 1865. He states in his application that he served as a conscript officer.
The 1866 state census places him with his family back in St. Clair County, at a different location (Twn. 11, Range 5 East). But this may be in error, because the 1870 census places his household (pg 244) back in Twn 12, Range 4 East.
Phillip and David Young Elder returned with their families to Texas in 1874/75, again with their brother-in-law, Lee Preston and his family (Texas Confederate Home Roster). They settled near Pilgrim Lake (1874-95), to the west of Cheapside, in Gonzales County.
P.T. Elder and his wife joined the Bellevue/Cheapside Presbyterian Church in June 1879. They and their daughter Emma Fawcett were among those who petitioned on June 27, 1879 to form this church. The 1880 census places them in DeWitt County (#416 ED47). P.T. Elder was a Mason.
From a combination of a spring blizzard and attacks by wolves, P.T. Elder lost 300 of his 561 sheep at his farm, west of Cheapside near Pilgrim Lake, during March 1883 (Gonzales Inquirer 3/10/1883). This may have contributed to increasing his growing of cotton several years later. While a storm destroyed much of his cotton crop during the summer of 1886, he succeeded the following year in raising a good crop (Gonzales Inquirer 7/23/1887:3). In 1892 P.T. Elder still resided at Pilgrim Lake, 18 miles south of Gonzales (TX State Gazetteer).
In the late 1890s, for a few years, his family was living in Cuero, DeWitt County Texas. He served as an elder and officer in the Sunday School of the Cuero Cumberland Presbyterian Church after February 26, 1896 (LDS 1311261). He also taught in the Sunday School. On the other hand, his Confederate Pension Application suggests he lived at Cheapside from 1891 through 1908 (for 17 years). P.T. Elder was later chosen to represent the Cuero church at the meeting of Guadalupe Presbytery in July 1896 at Kerrville. In a session meeting on August 24, 1897 P.T. Elder announced that he would soon move 12-14 miles away and that a new ruling elder should be elected for the Cuero church. Soon after this he moved with his wife and children, and Emma McDonald, to Cheapside.
From the fall of 1897 through 1910s P.T. Elder operated a broom factory on his place about a mile west of Cheapside. In June 1900 P.T. Elder was elected to represent the Cheapside Presbyterian church at Presbytery.
In July-August 1908 Phillip Elder applied for a Confederate Pension (file # 2018 / 19620) from Cheapside, but his application was rejected (11/30/1908) because he had too much property (38 acres of land worth $25/acre, with $400 invested in it). He filed a revised application in September 1910 that was witnessed by L.A. Preston and John Arnold, and supported by a letter from his former regiment commander, John W. Inzer. A pension was finally granted on September 1, 1910, following a personal appeal (letter) from Phillip Elder of Cheapside on November 24, 1910. Finding himself unable to pay for his land, Phillip Elder sold it to his son. A physical on November 30, 1914 revealed several that Phillip had several skin cancers (TX CSA Veteran Pension File 19620). On September 18, 1916, Sarah Susan Wilson (Elder) died at Cheapside. After her death, P.T. Elder lived with his daughter, Laura Elder (Wofford) in Yoakum (1917-24). Each summer during the 1910-20s Willis A. Fawcett's grandfather, P.T. Elder, visited Kerrville from his home in Yorktown, DeWitt County, Texas (Kerrville Mountain Sun 7/24/24). It is possible that Yorktown is confused with Yoakum, Lavaca County, Texas (where he definitely lived with his daughter in 1921). P.T. Elder also visited Fawcett relatives in San Antonio, Johnson City, and Kerrville.orr
At the time P.T. Elder was admitted to the Texas Confederate Home in Austin on September 9, 1929, he was living with his son, Rev. Mansel P. Elder, at 806 Delmar Street in San Antonio, Texas. He went to the home because his children were no longer able to take care of him.
Phillip T. Elder died in Austin at the Confederate Veterans Home (1600 W 6th) at 1:54 p.m. on March 19, 1930 of pneumonia under the care of Dr. T.C. Hairston (TX Certificate 16130; Texas Confederate Home Roster). Mansel made the arrangements so that Phillip T. Elder could be buried at Bellevue Cemetery near Cheapside in DeWitt County with the assistance of his pension and the San Marcos undertaker, C.E. Rugel or A.B. Rogers Company. P.T. Elder was buried on March 20, 1930 following a funeral service at 10:30 a.m. preformed at the Cheapside church by Rev. J.W. Carroll, Edgar Hubbard, and J.D. Johns (Cuero Record 3/20/1930:1).
From A History of the Fawcetts and Related Families in America by William Bloys Fawcett. Used by permission of Dr. Fawcett.
This book was first published in 1996 and some of the information is quite dated. If you find errors or want to add updates, contact me, and I will add notes to the page.
Copyright © 1996, 2007 by William Bloys Fawcett, Jr. All rights reserved. No copies may be made of this document through any electronic, photocopying or other means without permission of the author.
References on this Site
Mentioned in Other Documents: